Most of us may have tried dum aloo but have you ever tried dum aloo baingan recipe? This recipe comes with an unique combination that brings you an authentic taste of India. This dish consists of a variety of spices and is a perfect blend of taste and flavor.
One of the main ingredients of this dish is eggplant or baingan which has a wide range of varieties of its own. Apart from various varieties, what people don’t know that brinjal is a great source of vitamin C, K & B6. It is also known to improve the health of your heart and is very helpful in improving your digestion. With many other benefits, brinjal is a good inclusion in your everyday menu. The other main ingredient of the dish is potato which is a versatile vegetable and goes specially well with such flavorful curry or sabji.
This dum aloo baingan masala sabji goes best with paratha or puri, but you also serve with roti and rice. I have also posted few other baingan or brinjal recipes like Baingan bharta and achari baingan . Do try these recipes as well. So, let’s dive a yummy dip in this recipe.
Dum Aloo Baingan
- 10 Garlic Clove
- 1 inch Ginger
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Nigella Seeds
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 6 Brinjal purple
- 6 Potato small
- ¼ cup Mustard Oil
- 2 Green Chilli slit
- 2 Onion fine chopped
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tomato fine chopped
- 3 tbsp Water
- ½ cup Water
- Garam Masala Powder
- In a mortar add in ginger, garlic and crush it. Then add in fennel seeds, mustard seeds, nigella seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds crush them and make a coarse paste.
Dum Aloo Baingan
- Wash brinjals, make slits in it and fill some salt in it. Wash and peel the potatoes, make slits and add salt in it.
- In a pan heat mustard oil, add potato and brinjal in it and give a good mix.
- Cover and cook till the vegetables are soft and keep stirring in between. Once cooked transfer to a bowl to remove extra oil.
- In the pan where you cooked vegetables add in green chilli and let it crisp. Now add in masala, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in onion and salt, cook till onion turns golden brown. Now add in turmeric powder, red chilli powder,coriander powder and give a good mix.
- Add in tomato, water and mix it well. Cover and cook everything for 3-4 minutes or till tomatoes are soft.
- After 5 minutes add in potatoes, brinjals and mix well and increase the flame to medium.
- Cook the vegetables in gravy for 2-3 minutes. After 2-3 minutes add in water and mix.
- Lower the flame, cover with a lid and put a heavy vessel on it. Fill the vessel with water.
- Let it dum for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes check the gravy and add in garam masala.
- Putting salt helps vegetables to cook faster and gives better taste.
- Cook only 70% of the vegetables only.
- You can use lesser amount of oil but won’t give the same taste.
- Don’t put masala in hot oil or else it will burn, use warm oil.
- Putting water in vessel helps the vegetable to not burn and give good taste.