Jaggery rice or gur wale chawal is a traditional Punjabi dish which is also loved all over India due to its amazing taste and mouth-watering fragrance. It is made with jaggery or gur, rice and flavorful spices. It is 100% vegan and contains zero gluten which makes it healthier choice as a dessert. Jaggery is considered to have many benefits on health, specially good for the liver. Apart from this jaggery is also know to purify blood and increase the immunity.
This jaggery rice or gur ke chawal is a huge hit at my home. Sometimes I make it for special occasions or sometimes I make it as a desert and keep it in fridge and enjoy it for few days. Just take it out of thr fridge, heat it a bit and ready to serve as a fresh dessert. It is also loved by kids and off course by people who have a sweet tooth 🙂 . I have also posted few more similar sweet recipes ike sweet rice, meethi semiya and moong dal paysam. Do give these recipes a try as well.
Follow this recipe step by step and make perfect Jagger Rice at home.
Sweet Jaggery Rice
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Cinnamon Sticks
- 8 Cloves
- 9 Small Cardamom
- 15 Almonds chopped
- 15 Cashew chopped
- ½ up Dry Coconut grated
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 1 cup Basmati Rice washed and soaked for 1 hour
- In a pressure cooker add in ghee and let it melt.
- Now add in fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon cardamom and roast a bit.
- Add in cashew, almonds and roast it well.
- Add in dry coconut and roast well, once roasted keep some nuts aside for garnishing.
- Add in water,mix a little and now add in jaggery.
- Mix it well and let jaggery dissolve in water, let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in rice and mix it thoroughly.
- Once bubbles start coming put the lid of cooker and cook on medium flame for 3 whistles.
- Turn off the heat and let cooker cool down completely.
- Serve it and garnish with the roasted nuts.
You May Also Like:
Moong Dal Halwa