I love South Indian cuisine and make many dishes often at home. Today I want to introduce one of my best friends Viji (Vijya Laxmi Dhayal). She makes awesome food and I love her veg korma very much. I like this recipe of korma as it is very delicious, light and goes very well with jeera rice, pooris, chapati or just with plain rice.
I love making this recipe and it is a huge hit in my house. This recipe of a vegetable kurma is very simple and easy to follow. Just ground ginger, garlic, green chilly, coconut and cashews. Saute onions and tomatoes and veggies and ground paste, some spices and cook korma till veggies are soft. Sounds easy, isn’t it? It’s a must try and I am sure you will love it. I have posted a few recipes that I think will go perfectly with this recipe of veg kurma like Jeera Rice , Poori and Laccha Paratha.
Follow the recipe step by step to get the perfect recipe. So, lets dive into the recipe.
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3 Garlic Clove
- 1 Green Chilli
- 8-10 Cashew
- ½ cup Dry Coconut/ Desiccated Coconut grated
- 3-4 tbsp Oil
- 3 Cloves
- 2-3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato small, chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- ½ cup Beans chopped
- ½ cup Peas
- ¾ cup Potato chopped
- 1 cup Cauliflower chopped
- ¾ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 3-4 cup Water
- In a mixer grinder grind together ginger, garlic, green chilly, grated coconut, cashews and some water to a thick paste.
- Heat pan at medium heat and add oil.
- As the oil gets hot add cloves and cinnamon stick.
- Now add chopped onions, little salt and saute till onions turns little pink.
- As onion turns pink add chopped tomatoes, mix everything and cook till tomatoes are slightly mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder, mix it and add chopped carrots, beans, cauliflower, potatoes, green peas and some more salt.
- Mix everything a and cook it for 5 minutes so that veggies are slightly roasted.
- Now add chilly powder and coriander powder and give everything a nice mix.
- Now add 2 cups of water, mix, cover and cook the veggies till they are almost half done.
- Once veggies are half cooked and ground coconut paste.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of water mix everything cover and cook kurma till veggies are soft.
- Once veggies are soft enough add chopped coriander leaves.
- Veg kurma is ready to serve. It taste best with chapatis, dosa and rice.
- Onions should not be over cooked in this korma. They should just turns pink before adding tomatoes.
- Adding cashews give nice taste and smoothness to korma.
- You can use fresh or frozen coconut. Do not use dry coconut as it will loose oil while cooking and korma will not taste good.
- Mostly korma has little runny gravy but you can always keep the consistency of gravy you like.
I enojy making this recipe and hope you liked it too. Do let us know in the comment section about your experience in making this tasty recipe.