Crispy Papadi Chaat Recipe | Spinach Karela Nimki Chaat | If you belong to or visited Bundelkhand region I am sure you would have come across this special Karela chaat. It’s a crispy karela shaped namak para or papadi made with all purpose flour or maida. Garnished with sweet and sour chutneys, creamy curd and flavored with spices.
It’s a very unique recipe, and amazingly tasty. Don’t worry, this karela chaat is not bitter, it is rather tangy, sweet and chatpata just like how a chaat should be. This recipe is similar to Namak Pare but with a twist, here namak para is made in karela shape. I have also added some spinach puree to give it special taste which is little different from its traditional taste. You can also make it without spinach too. I make and store these karelas as they taste amazing with evening tea and can be served as snacks too. If you want to make quick chaat just garnish them with yogurt, sweet chutney , green chutney and chaat masala. You can also add some chopped boiled potatoes or boiled matar for extra kick.
If you have not tried karela chaat recipe yet, do try it once and I am sure you will love it too.
Palak Namak Pare Mathri Recipe
- 1 bunch Spinach wash and stems removed
- 2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp Carom Seeds
- 3 tbsp Oil
- ¾ tsp Salt
- In a grinder add spinach, little water and grind to make fine paste.
- In a bowl add all-purpose flour, carrom seeds, chaat masala, oil, salt and mix well.
- Once mixed well add spinach puree and mix well without adding water.
- Sprinkle some water, mix and knead a smooth, elastic dough.
- Once dough is smooth cover and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, transfer to a rolling boards and knead again.
- Divide the dough into half and make a log out of it.
- With the help of knife divide the log into 10-11 pieces.
- Roll them in between your palms and make balls of it.
- Take one ball and cover and keep the others.
- Roll the dough ball into a thin circle.
- Once the dough is flattened with the help of a knife make horizontal big cuts in the dough without cutting the sides.
- Roll and fold the thin dough and pinch the corners.
- Repeat the same with rest of the dough.
- To cook karelas heat oil on medium high and add karelas in it.
- Once karele are in the oil reduce the heat a bit, flip and cook well from both the sides.
How to serve karele chaat?
- In a plate add 3-4 karelas, add beaten curd, tamarind chutney, sprinkle salt, chaat masala and red chilli powder on it.
- Make sure you mix oil well in the flour.
- Do not add a lot of water while making the puree.
This is a fun and healthy snack recipe. Do let us know in the comment section about your experience with this recipe.