Dum Aloo Recipe | Aloo Dum Recipe | No Cream or Cashew Paste Recipe
Dum aloo or aloo dum is a very old and traditional recipe. It is made in many ways. In this recipe, today we will make dum aloo without cream or cashew paste.
Mostly while making dum aloo potatoes are deep fried. Which takes a lot of time and potatoes absorb a lot of oil. To make it little light I have shallow fried boiled potatoes. I have used big size potatoes and cut them in half but you can also use baby potatoes if available. I have used less water as I like my gravy thick but you can make gravy consistency of your choice.
This is spicy, flavorful Dum Aloo recipe where I have not used cream. This is close to Punjabi style dum aloo recipe which is totally different from Kashmiri dum aloo. I have also posted one more variation of aloo dum which you can check here.
I make this dum aloo often for my guests. Dum Aloo or Aloo Dum goes perfectly well with roti, paratha, puri, rumali roti, or jeera rice. I have also posted other totally desi recipes like Kaddu Ki Sabzi, Aloo Matar, Aloo Methi and many more. Do try these recipes as well.
Follow this recipe step by step to get your perfect desi style dum aloo.
- 1 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Potatoes 80% boiled & cut into 2 pieces
- 1 Small Cardamom
- 1 Big Cardamom
- 4 Black Pepper Corn
- 2 Cloves
- 10 Garlic Clove
- ½ inch Ginger
- 3 Onion roughly chopped
- 2 Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi optional
- 1 cup Water
- In a deep pan add oil, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix well.
- Now add potatoes, cook them a bit after a while add little oil on top to make it crisp.
- Once potatoes are golden brown and crisp take them out and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add small cardamom, big cardamom, black pepper corns, cloves, garlic cloves and ginger.
- Mix everything well and then add onion to it.
- Next add salt and mix well.
- Cook till onions are soft and loose.
- Next add tomatoes mix well, cover and cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Once tomatoes are cooked let it cool down completely.
- After mixture is cool add in grinder and make a puree of it.
- In the same pan add 2-3 tbsp Oil.
- Now add bay leave, cumin seeds and let cumin seeds splatter a bit.
- Next add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix well.
- Now add puree to it mix and cook till masala leaves the sides.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring in between.
- Once masala is thick increase the flame to high and cook till oil is released.
- Once masala is ready add potatoes, coriander powder, garam masala, kasoori methi and mix well.
- Let it cook for 1-2 minutes and then add water.
- Mix well, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
I like garnishing this dish with coriander leaves. Let us know in the comment section about your favorite dum aloo recipe.