Kaale Pindi Chole Recipe | Chole is made in many ways but the authentic pindi chole is class apart. In this recipe, Pindi Chole is made in a very simple and easy way and they are made dark without using tea leaves. One more thing that makes this dish different is that I have not used chana or chola masala in it. It is rather made with completely home made mix of spices.
Pindi chole is a very common Indian dish that is popular worldwide. It can be served in breakfast, lunch or dinner and goes well with Roti, Bhatura, Kulcha and even rice. I have used pomegranate peels to give this chole its dark color. If you want even darker color cook it in an iron pan.
This recipe is super easy and if chole are soaked well they can be made in a jiff. I have also posted other similar easy recipes like Chana Masala, Lehsuni Aloo Matar, Aloo Ki Sabzi and many more. Do check them out as well.
So, let us dive into the recipe.
- 1.5 cup Kabuli Chana soaked overnight or for 8 hours
- Pomegranate Peels fresh or dried
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon Sticks small
- 2 Big Cardamom
- 5 Cloves
Homemade Chana Masala
- 1.5 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 big Onion fine chopped
- 2 Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Homemade Chana Masala
- 2 tbsp Water
- Black Salt
- In a cooker add chola, water, pomegranate peel, bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, big cardamom, cloves and salt.
- Next add water 1 upto one inch above the chola.
- Boil chole by allowing 6-7 whistles. If need add ⅛ tsp soda.
- Once cooked let it cool down and then remove spices from it completely.
- In a bowl add garam masala powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and mix well.
- In a pan add oil and once it heats a bit add onion and let it cook a bit.
- Next add ginger garlic paste, salt mix and cook onions till golden brown in color.
- Once onion is brown add tomato puree mix well. Cover and cook till puree leaves oil.
- When tomatoes release oil add homemade chana masala, water mix and cook for a minute
- After 1 minute add boiled chole without water mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- After 3-4 minutes mash some chole next add water from chola, black slat and mix well.
- Next add water according to the consistency you need and cook for 5 minutes.
Let me know in the comment how did you like my twist to pindi chole.