Traditional Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe | One Pot Dal Dhokli Recipe with Video: Dal dhokli is a famous traditional Gujarati recipe made with dal and wheat flour. Dal in English is lentil and dhokli is dumpling so you can also call dal dhokli as lentil soup with wheat flour dumplings.
Dal dhokli is simple, healthy, easy to make and complete meal in itself. You can server it as soup and perfect for rainy season or winters. Typically dal dhokli is made without veggies but sometimes I also add chopped veggies like spinach, carrots and beans to make it even healthier. Here I have used toor dal (split pigeon peas) to make dal dhokli but you can also use mix of toor dal and dhuli moong dal (split green gram) half and half. Also I have added kokum to give dal dhokli nice sour taste. As a substitute you can also use tamarind juice or tamarind paste.
Dal dhokli can also be made with leftover dal. For that just boil dal (add water if it is too thick), add dhoklis and tadka and your lunch or dinner is ready in no time. I have also posted few other recipes that can be made with leftover food like roti cheela , egg tortilla, egg paratha roll, left over boondi ladoo kheer. Do try them as well.
- ¾ cup Toor Dal soaked for 1 hour
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2.5 cup Water
- ½ tsp Oil
- ¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- ½ cup Potato boiled & mashed
- ¼ cup Peas boiled
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 2 Green Chilli chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste crushed
- Curry Leaves
- ¼ cup Ground Nuts
- 1 Tomato chopped
- Cooked Dal
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1-2 Kokam/ Tamarind Pulp
- Sugar/ Jaggery
- In a cooker add toovar daal till, add water, little salt, turmeric powder, oil and pressure cook for 4- whistles.
- After 4 whistles turn off the heat and let it cool down completely.
- In a bowl take whole wheat flour, add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt, oil and mix them well.
- Next add little water at a time and knead a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes take the dough and divide it in two parts.
- Dust it with flour and roll the dough and make thick chapatti as shown in the video.
- Take a bowl or any sharp cover and cut the dough in small circles as shown in the video.
- Take one circle and slowly lift the edges and bring it together to form a pouch.
- For tadka heat a small pan and add ghee
- Add hing, zeera, mustard seeds, fennel seesds, dry red chiily, reduce the heat and add curry leaves.
- Next add peanuts and roast for a while.
- Now add tomato and cook till semi soft.
- Next add red chilli powder and mix well.
- After a while add cooked dal and increase the heat.
- Next add water, coriander powder, kokam, sugar and mix well.
- Let dal get one boil and then add dhookli.
- Cover and cook for at least 10-15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes open the cover and if dhoklis are floating means it is ready.
- Dal dhokle is ready to serve. Serve it in a bowl and garnish with roasted peanuts, onions, sev and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Let me know in the comment section how you like it.
You May Also Like:
Parwal Aloo Sabji:
Garlic Aloo Matar: