Veg Kurma Recipe | South Indian Style Mix Vegetable kurma: Spicy, coconutty and very aromatic south Indian style veg kurma/ korma which can be enjoyed with roti or rice.
Today I want to introduce one of my best friends Viji (Vijyalaxmi Dhayal). She makes awesome food and I love her veg kurma very much. I like this korma as it is very delicious, light and goes very well with zeera rice, pooris, chapati or plain rice.
I like this recipe of veg kurma as it tastes very different from north Indian curries. Veggies are cooked here in mild garlic and coconut, cashew sauce makes that makes it super delicious. We did not added curry leaves here but if you like you can add them too. You can also add more or less chilly powder according to your taste buds.
This vegetable kurma recipe is very simple and easy to follow. Just ground ginger, garlic, green chilly, coconut and cashews. Sauté onions and tomatoes and veggies and ground paste, add some spices and boil korma till veggies are soft. Sounds easy, isn’t it. It’s a must try and I am sure you will love it.
Here are some tips on How to make perfect Veg Kurma:
- Onions should not be overcooked in this korma, they should just turns pink before adding tomatoes.
- Adding cashews gives nice rich taste and smoothness to korma.
- You can use fresh or frozen coconut. Do not use dry coconut as it will lose oil while cooking and korma will not taste good.
- This veg kurma has little runny gravy but you can always keep the consistency of gravy as you like.
Veg Kurma or Vegetable Kurma Recipe Video:
Veg Kurma or Vegetable Kurma Recipe Card:
- Ginger piece: 1”
- Garlic: 3 cloves
- Green chilly: 1
- Cashew pieces: 8-10 (1/4 cup)
- Grated coconut (fresh or frozen): ½ cup
- Oil: 3-4 tbsp
- Cloves: 3
- Cinnamon sticks: 2-3 small pieces
- Chopped onion: 1 small (½ cup)
- Tomato: 1 small (chopped)
- Chopped Carrots: ½ cup
- Chopped beans: ½ cup
- Green peas: ½ cup
- Chopped potato: ¾ cup
- Chopped cauliflower: 1 cup
- Turmeric powder: ¾ tsp
- Red chilly powder: 1tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water: 3-4 cups as needed
- In a mixer grinder grind together ginger, garlic, green chilly, grated coconut, cashews and some water to a thick paste.
- Heat pan at medium heat and add oil.
- As the oil gets hot add cloves and cinnamon stick.
- Now add chopped onions, little salt and saute till onions turns little pink.
- As onion turns pink add chopped tomatoes, mix everything and cook till tomatoes are slightly mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder, mix it and add chopped carrots, beans, cauliflower, potatoes,green peas and some more salt.
- Mix everything and cook it for 5 minutes so that veggies are slightly roasted.
- Now add chilly powder and coriander powder and give everything a nice mix.
- Now add 2 cups of water, mix, cover and cook the veggies till they are almost half done.
- Once veggies are half cooked add ground coconut paste.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of water mix everything cover and cook kurma till veggies are soft.
- Once veggies are soft enough add chopped coriander leaves.
- Veg kurma is ready to serve.
- It taste best with chapatis, dosa and rice.
2. Adding cashews gives nice taste and smoothness to korma.
3. You can use fresh or frozen coconut. Do not use dry coconut as it will loose oil while cooking and korma will not taste good.
4. Mostly kurma has little runny gravy but you can always keep the consistency of gravy you like.