Roti Masala Upma Recipe | Leftover Chapati Recipe | Tasty, healthy and easy recipe to make upma with leftover roti or chapati. Suji or rava upma is a very common Indian breakfast and this recipe is a little twist to the same.
I try to find out new and interesting ways to utilize leftover food not only saves food but also brings out recipes ideas. This roti upma is one such recipe. This roti upma tastes best when made with leftover roti but can also be made from fresh roti. I have added tomatoes and onions in the recipe but if you like, you can also add fine chopped capsicum, carrot or any other veggie of your choice.
Towards the end of this recipe, I have added Maggi masala as my kids love it but it is completely optional and can be skipped as per your choice. You can also add lemon juice in this recipe if you like little tangy taste.
I like to serve this upma with bhujia or sev and chopped onions on top. I have posted other interesting breakfast recipes like Besan Toast, Shahi Poha, Curd Sandwich and many more. You can check these recipes too on my page.
Follow this recipe step by step to get the perfect Roti Upma at home.
- 6 tbsp Gram Flour
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Roti leftover or fresh
- 3 tbsp Oil
- ¼ cup Peanuts
- 1 Potato medium size, chopped
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 8-10 Curry Leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Onion fine chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tomatoes fine chopped
- Maggie Masala optional
- Coriander Powder
- Red Chilli Powder
- Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- In a bowl add gram flour, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Now add little water at a time and make a thick and smooth paste of it.
- Whip the batter thoroughly for 1 minute.
- In another bowl break the rotis into small pieces.
- In a pan add oil, peanuts, potatoes and a little bit of salt.
- Fry everything till crisp and then remove in a bowl.
- In the same oil add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilli and onion.
- Mix everything well and cook till onion is semi cooked.
- Next add turmeric powder, tomatoes, salt and cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Once tomatoes are soft add water and let it boil.
- Once water starts to boil add roti mix well and cook on medium flame by bringing roti to the center of the pan.
- Next pour the besan mixture around the roti and then leave it covered on medium flame for 5-6 minute.
- After 6 minutes break the besan with the help of spatula and mix well with roti.
- Sprinkle some maggi masala, coriander powder, red chilli powder, coriander leaves, fried peanut & potatoes and mix everything well.
- Cook well for some time and cook for good 4-5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes turn off the heat and serve hot.
You May Also Like:
Moong Dal Twisties
Spinach Cheese Balls
Vegetable Pasta Soup