Chutney bombs- Indian vegetarian starters or snacks recipe: These bite size snack balls are full of flavors, aroma and taste. This easy vegetarian appetizer can be made for parties, potlucks, evening snacks and breakfast. I love making snacks a lot but they should be quick,easy and should be made with easy ingredients available in pantry anytime. You can see many such easy and different Indian snack recipes like spinach cheese balls, suji kachori, Chinese pakora, French toast roll ups, roti cutlets and lot more in snacks and starters section of my blog. Talking about today’s chutney bombs recipe I like it as it is easy, simple, spicy and super hit party appetizer. I made it couple of times for my friends and they just loved it.
- 1 cup Potato boiled
- ½ cup Poha washed & darined
- ½ cup Paneer grated
- ½ cup Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ cup Coconut/ Desiccated Coconut grated
- ½ cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1-2 Green Chilli
- 2 Garlic Clove
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- In a mixing bowl mix together boiled mashed potatoes, soaked & drained poha, paneer, salt, cumin seeds, garam masala and red chilly powder.
- Mix everything and knead it like a dough and keep it aside. In a mixing jar grind grated coconut, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chilly, lemon juice and salt.
- Grind them to a thick chutney and keep it aside. In a small bowl mix together all-purpose flour and ½ cup of water to a thin smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Now grease your palms with little oil and take some potato mixture in your hands. Make a small disc out of potato mixture and put some chutney in the center.
- Close it from all the sides and make a smooth ball as shown in the video. Make sure there are no open ends or surfaces. Make all the balls like this.
- Now take one ball and dip it in all-purpose flour mixture and then roll it over bread crumbs from all the sides.
- Gently roll the ball between your palms so that all the bread crumbs get stuck to the ball and do not come out while frying.
- Do same with the other ball and coat them with bread crumbs. Once all the balls are ready heat the oil at medium heat.
- Drop few balls at a time and deep fry them till they are golden brown from all the sides. Chutney bombs are ready to serve.
- I have used poha (beaten rice) in the potato mixture. Make sure you wash the poha, soak it in level water for 20 minutes and then sieve the water out before using it.
- I have used chutney as stuffing. It is very important that chutney is thick otherwise it will be very difficult to stuff it. Make sure you do not add any water or add very less water while grinding chutney.
- Make sure that balls are smooth with no open ends before frying.
- After rolling the balls in bread crumbs, roll them gently between your palms so that all the crumbs get stuck to the bread, This way crumbs will not come out while frying.
- Fry chutney bombs at medium heat.