Poha Recipe or Shahi Poha Recipe with Video: Spicy poha made with milk and nuts. You can have nutritious and delicious poha in breakfast or brunch or any time you like. My family just love this shahi poha. Poha is very famous breakfast in India. For me it’s a life saver. When I run out of options for breakfast I quickly make this shahi poha. Apart from poha I also make bread uttapam, sandwiches, idli, parathas in breakfast. You can also check quick breakfast and snack recipes in snacks section of this blog. Poha or flatten rice is very versatile and can be used in many ways. You can also check my poha kachori that is simple and delicious snack. You can also make poha cutlets and poha laddu with this versatile ingredient.
In this poha recipe I soaked poha in milk and used mixture of nuts while cooking that gives poha rich taste and that why it is called shahi poha or shahi pohe. This poha can be made with or without onions. You can also use potao cubes in this poha recipe that many people prefer.
This poha recipe is super easy if you keep few things in mind:
- – After washing poha soak it in milk for 10-15 minutes. This will make poha soft and tasty.
- – Do not overcook the poha or stir the poha too many times to avoid it getting mushy.
- – Choose the medium variety of poha. Not too thick nor too thin.
- – To keep poha moist add little milk at the end.
In this shahi poha I used cashews and almonds you can also use some peanuts along with them. Also raisins are added to give this poha required and sufficient sweetness.
- 1½ cup Poha
- ¼ cup Milk +1 tbsp
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ cup Cashew
- ¼ cup Almonds
- 20 Rasins
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 5 Curry Leaves
- ½ cup Onion fine chopped
- 3 Green Chilli slit in half
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1½ tbsp Coriander Leaves fine chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Sev thin
- Wash poha, strain it and add ¼ cup of milk. Mix well and keep it aside for 15 minutes. Now add turmeric powder in poha and keep it aside.
- In a meanwhile heat 2 tbsp oil in wok or kadai and add cashews and almond.
- Stir and cook for few seconds and now add raisins. Stir well and cook till nuts become golden brown.
- Once nuts turns golden brown take them out in a bowl and keep aside. In the same oil add cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- As mustard starts to splatter add curry leaves, sauté a bit and add chopped onions and little salt.
- Stir and cook till onions become little soft and turns slightly brown. Now add slit green chillies and stir everything.
- Now add red chilly powder and mix it, add soaked poha, coriander leaves, half of the roasted nuts, freshly squeezed lemon juice and salt.
- Mix everything gently and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add 1tbsp milk, mix it and switch off the heat. Poha is ready to.
- Garnish the poha with fine chopped onions, coriander leaves, rest of the nuts and sev. Serve poha with hot cup to tea or coffee.
You May Also Like:
Grilled Tofu Sandwich: