Tortilla pakora or Roti pakora recipe with Video: Quick, crispy, shallow fried pakora recipe that will convert your simple chapati or tortilla to a yummy snack. This tortilla or roti pakora is very filling and you can even pack it for your short trips or kid’s lunch box.
Do you sometimes wonder how to use your left over roti, chapati or tortilla? Here are some recipes like chapati or roti cutlet, egg paratha roll, tortilla or roti egg wrap and this tortilla or roti pakora. These recipes will change simple roti or chapati to a yummy snack. Also when my kids do not want to eat chapatti I try one of these and everything is finished in minutes.
Roti or tortilla pakora recipe is very easy. Make any stuffing of your choice (here I have used potatoes, onions and spices), make thick batter with gram flour or besan, make thick paste all purpose flour (maida) and water paste to stick the tortilla or roti. Finally take tortilla or roti, stuff it, roll it, stick and seal it with paste, dip in the batter and shallow fry pakoras in oil from both side till they become golden brown and crispy. I suggest watching my video for the right consistency of batter and process to prepare these crispy pakoras.
Here I want to tell one small trick to make crispy pakoras. When you make gram flour or besan batter whisk it for few minutes till it becomes fluffy. This will make nice crispy pakoras.
Tortilla Pakora or Roti Pakora Recipe video
Tortilla Pakora or Roti Pakora Recipe Card
- Flour Tortilla or chapati (roti): 4-5
- For Stuffing:
- Boiled mashed potato: 1 cup,
- Fine chopped onion: ¼ cup,
- Dry mango owder (amchoor powder): 1 tsp,
- Chat masala: ½ tsp,
- Fine chopped green chillies: 2,
- Fine chopped coriander leaves: 2 tbsp,
- For Batter:
- Gram flour (besan): 1 cup,
- Red chilly powder (lal mirch): ½ tsp,
- For Sticking:
- All purpose flour (maida): 2 tbsp,
- Oil for shallow frying
- In a mixing bowl mix together potatoes, onions, green chilly, coriander leaves, dry mango powder, chat masala and little salt.
- In a separate bowl mix together besan, salt, red chilly powder and add little water at a time and make a batter (like pancake). Mix it for 3-4 minutes till batter becomes little fluffy and keep it aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together all purpose flour and water and make a thick paste.
- Now take tortilla or chapati. Put generous amount of potato mixture on one side of the tortilla or chapati.
- Put all purpose flour paste on the rim of the chapati or tortilla.
- Roll it from one side to another and make a tight roll.
- At the edges put some more all purpose paste and turn the edges as shown in the video.
- Let it rest for few minutes so that edges get completely sealed.
- Heat the pan at medium heat and add oil.
- Dip the roll in besan batter and get it nicely coated from all the sides.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in medium hot pan. Put rolled tortilla or roti pakora in the oil.
- Cook it from both the sides till roti pakora become golden brown and crispy.
- Once done take tortilla pakora out on paper towel. You can serve roti pakora as it is or cut it in two pieces and serve it with your favorite dip.
2. You can also use whole wheat flour tortilla and left over chapatti in this recipe.
3. Try this tortilla or chapatti pakora with different varieties of stuffing each time to get new taste.