Shahi tukda recipe with video: Scrumptious dessert made with toasted bread topped and soaked with flavorful thickened milk or rabdi and nuts. Shahi tukda or shahi toast can be served warm or chilled. It tastes delicious always.
Shahi tukda is rich mughlai dessert which is made in many ways. While traditional recipe is pretty long and tedious, this version of shahi tukda is easy and can be made in minutes. Also traditional recipe calls for deep frying the bread but to make this dish little less in calories I pan toasted bread with little butter. You can also use ghee instead of butter. Alternatively, you can also toast the breads in toaster till they become golden brown and crispy and then apply some butter or ghee on both the sides when breads are still warm.
In this recipe of shahi tukda, you can also use brown bread or multi-grain bread, though it tastes best with white bread. Traditionally shahi tukda is made with rabdi which is made by slow cooking milk for hours till it thickens and gets creamy in consistency. In this recipe, I used instant rabdi method. For that I used mixture of milk and condensed milk and cooked it for about 15 minutes. In this shahi tukda recipe I have kept rabdi little thin in consistency as it is easier to serve and also gets little thicker by time.
This shahi tukda recipe is instant and does not require much prep work. You can also find more instant sweets like laddu kheer, chocolate ladoo, quinoa kheer, sweet coconut paratha, fruit cream which does not require much prep work and can be done in minutes.
Shahi tukda can be served warm or chilled. If you are planning to serve it cold then make rabdi ahead of time and put it in the fridge for few hours so that it is chilled while serving.
For givining nice fragrance to shahi tudka I used saffron and cardamom powder. You can also use rose water or kevra water to give rabdi different flavor. Shahi tukda is very aromatic, flavorful dish which can be made for any occasion.
Shahi Tukda Video Recipe:
Shahi Tukda Recipe Card:
- Saffron: 6-7,
- Almonds, pistachios, cashews: 10 each,
- Bread slice: 2-3,
- Butter: 1tsp,
- Milk: ½ cup + 2 tbsp,
- Condensed milk: ¼ cup,
- Cardamom or elaichi powder: 2 pinch
- In the warm milk add kesar or saffron and dissolve it with the help of spoon till saffron releases color and flavor. Keep the mixture aside.
- Dry roast nuts till you start smelling nice aroma. Chop them and keep them aside.
- Apply butter on both sides of the breads.
- Heat pan and toast breads on medium low heat till they become brown and crispy from both the sides. Keep breads aside.
- In parallel we will make rabdi. For that heat another pan at medium high heat and put half cup of milk, saffron, cardamom powder, condensed milk and boil for 7-8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes add nuts and let it cook for another 7-8 minutes
- Once done, remove the pan from the heat and let rabdi cool down for some time.
- Make sure that rabdi is not too thick, we want little thin. You can check recipe video for the exact consistency.
- For serving cut the bread pieces it into two or four pieces and pour generous amount of rabdi on bread.
- Shahi tukda tastes best when it is warm. You can also serve it chilled.
2. Keep rabdi at medium consistency as it will become thick as it cools down.
3. Stir the milk continuously while making rabdi otherwise rabdi may stick to the bottom.
4. we will not add any sugar as condense milk will give enough sweetness to rabdi.