Gobi tikka masala is a variation of paneer tikka masala but very different in taste. This gobi tikka masala is ideal for parties and also everyday home cooking.
Gobi tikka masala recipe is a restaurant style Indian curry recipe. I learned this from one of my friends. She makes an awesome paneer tikka masala. I wanted to try something different so I changed paneer with gobi and did some minor changes to make this gobi tikka masala. Do not get bothered with huge ingredients list as you will most likely have most of the ingredients in your pantry. This cauliflower recipe is little time consuming but trust me at the end result is super duper scrumptious. Go ahead and try it for once and I am sure you will love it.
Gobi or cauliflower is a very common vegetable widely available around the world. You can find all colors and sizes of cauliflower which can be used for making salads, soups, stir fry and curries. I love cauliflower and often make different variations at home. I like to make dry aloo gobi ki sabzi where cauliflower is roasted with Indian spices and tastes super yum with roti, parathas and simple dal rice. I also make dhaba style aloo gobi curry where cauliflower and potatoes are simmered in spicy onion tomato gravy that goes very well with paratha and chapati.
Talking about today’s gobi tikka masala recipe, it is done in three steps. First gobi is marinated in spices and yogurt. Then it is roasted on pan and at the end it is cooked in creamy gravy till it gets the perfect texture and taste.
I have marinated the veggies for overnight but if you wish you can marinade it just for 1-2 hours. Also always use thick curd or yogurt for marination otherwise veggies will release lot of water while roasting and will make veggies soft, but we want to keep them crunchy. If you do not want to roast veggies on pan you can bake them in oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes or till they are cooked. Just turn them in between after they are half done.
I just love this gobi tikka masala and often make it for parties and it is always a hit. Gravy of gobi tikka masala can be made very quickly and is only made with tomatoes and cream without onions. The rich, smooth texture of gravy makes this gobi tikka masala taste heavens.
If you are looking for more restaurant style recipes you may also like paneer butter masala, dum aloo, achari baingan, Bhindi ka salan, matar paneer and lot more. Do check out the curry and veggie section of the blog.
Gobi Tikka Masala Video Recipe
Gobi Tikka Masala Recipe Card
- For marinade:
- Cauliflower (phool gobi): 3 cups,
- Bell pepper (capsicum or Shimla mirch): ⅔ cup
- Onions cut in big pieces: ½ cup
- Plain thick curd (yogurt): 1 cup
- Garam masala: ½ tsp,
- Turmeric powder (haldi): ½ tsp,
- Red chill powder: ½ tsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi): 1tbsp
- Lemon juice: 1tbsp
- Salt to taste
- For gravy:
- Cumin seeds: /2 tsp,
- Fennel seeds: ½ tsp,
- Small cardamom: I,
- Big cardamom: 1,
- Cinnamon stick: 2-3,
- Cloves: 2-3,
- Grated ginger: 1tbsp,
- Tomato puree: 1cup,
- Red chilly powder: ½ tsp,
- Cumin powder: 1tsp,
- Coriander powder: 2tsp,
- Tomato ketchup: 1tsp,
- Honey: 2tsp,
- Corn flour: 1tsp,
- Fresh cream ¼ cup,
- Oil: ¼ cup,
- Cut cauliflower, onion and bell pepper (capsicum) in big pieces and keep them aside.
- In a bowl mix together corn flour and water.
- In a big bowl take curd, turmeric powder, garam masala, red chilly powder, kasoori methi , salt and lemon juice.
- Mix together and make a nice thick paste.
- Add cauliflower, onion and bell pepper to it. Mix everything. Cover it and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
- After 4 hours take the veggies out and mix them again.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and put the veggies and let them cook in open for few minutes.
- Now cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook till veggies are nicely roasted and little soft.
- Keep stirring it couple of times in between to avoid burning.
- Once veggies are roasted and crisp transfer them in a bowl.
- Now heat pan / wok on medium heat, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, small cardamom and big cardamom.
- Saute for few seconds and add ginger garlic paste.
- Now add tomato puree, saute and cook till oil is separated.
- Once oil is separated from the tomatoes add cumin powder, coriander powder and red chily powder and mix well.
- Now add tomato ketchup and honey. Mix it well.
- Add corn flour and water mixture and salt. Mix it well and let it cook again till oil is separated.
- Now add cream mix it well and add roasted veggies and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Gobi tikka masala is ready to serve. It tastes best with parathas and naan.