Samosa, one of the staple Indian snacks is basically fried pastry with savory filling like potatoes, peas (or sometimes meat). You can easily recognize it with its distinct triangular shape. Specially if you go to North India you will find street venders (halwaii) selling fresh samosas in the mornings and evenings. I make them often for breakfast at my home. For me samosa with chutney and chai is delectable satisfying combination.
Samosa is typically served with Coriander chutney, mint chutney or sweet n sour chutney. You can also serve samosa with bread, boondi raita, spicy potato curry, channa masala. You can’t go wrong, whatever you serve with, it will taste great. Usually making samosa is little tedious job as it needs prep work. So I tried to make samosa recipe little easy and reduce the work to half as I have used ready made Tortillas. This recipe is so easy that even bachelors and beginners can do it. I have also posted recipe for another easy variant of samosa – Samosa bytes. It tastes just like regular samosa but really much easier to prepare. If you are also samosa lover like me I recommend you to try both tortilla samosa and samosa bytes.
In making these samosas I fried potatoes in aromatic spices for some time, let them cool down, stuffed this filling in tortillas triangles, sealed them gently and deep fried them at low heat till samosas were golden browned and crispy. So easy! Isn’t it? One more amazing thing about this samosa is that you can make the stuffing ahead of time and once it cools down store it in the fridge. Whenever you are ready to make samosa just stuff them in tortilla and deep fry them. You can also make these samosas ahead of time and just warm them before serving.
In the video down I have explained how to fold the samosa, what should be the frying temperature and you can see for how long you have to fry these samosas. Here I have posted a video which will help you in making perfect samosa with tortillas at home.
- 9 Flour Tortilla
- 5 Potato boiled & mashed
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Green Chilli fine chopped
- 2 tbsp All-purpose Flour
- Heat the pan at medium heat and add oil, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander powder, amchoor powder, chilly powder and chopped green chillies.
- Mix all the spices and sauté them for few seconds. Now add boiled, peeled and roughly mashed potatoes. Mix everything and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt and garam masala powder. Transfer these potatoes in a bowl and let them cool completely. In a bowl mix together flour and water together and make a thick paste.
- Now cut tortillas in half. Fold it in samosa shape and seal it with flour paste. Stuff potato filling inside and seal all the surfaces properly using flour paste.
- Deep fry these samosas on medium heat turning occasionally till they become golden brown and crispy. Serve the samosas with coriander chutney or ketchup.