Gobi tikka masala is a variation of paneer tikka masala but very different in taste. This gobhi tikka masala is ideal for parties, potlucks and also everyday home cooking.
Gobi tikka masala recipe is a restaurant-style Indian curry recipe. I learned this from one of my friends. She makes an awesome paneer tikka masala. I wanted to try something different so I changed paneer with gobi ( cauliflower) and did some minor changes to make this gobi tikka masala. Do not get bothered with a huge ingredients list as you will most likely have most of the ingredients in your pantry.
This cauliflower recipe is a little time consuming but trust me the result is super duper scrumptious. Go ahead and try it for once and I am sure you will love it. Gobi or cauliflower is a very common vegetable widely available around the world. You can find all colors and sizes of cauliflower which can be used for making salads, soups, stir fry and curries. I love cauliflower and often make different variations at home. I like to make dry aloo gobi ki sabzi where cauliflower is roasted with Indian spices and tastes super yum with roti, parathas and simple dal rice. I also make Dhaba style aloo gobi curry where cauliflower and potatoes are simmered in spicy onion tomato gravy that goes very well with paratha and chapati.
Talking about today’s gobi tikka masala recipe, it is done in three steps. The first gobi is marinated in spices and yoghurt. Then it is roasted on the pan and at the end, it is cooked in creamy gravy till it gets the perfect texture and taste.
I have marinated the veggies overnight but if you wish you can marinade it just for 1-2 hours. Also always use thick curd or yoghurt for marination otherwise veggies will release a lot of water while roasting and will make veggies soft, but we want to keep them crunchy. If you do not want to roast veggies on the pan you can bake them in the oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes or till they are cooked. Just turn them in between after they are half done.
I just love this gobi tikka masala and often make it for parties and it is always a hit. The gravy of gobi tikka masala can be made very quickly and is only made with tomatoes and cream without onions. The rich, smooth texture of gravy makes this gobi tikka masala taste heavens.
Follow the recipe step by step and get the perfect Gobi Tikka Masala. So, let’s dive straight into the recipe.
Gobi Tikki Masala
- ½ cup Thick Curd
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves crushed between palms
- 1 small Cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 1 big Onion chopped into big pieces
- 1 big Capsicum chopped into big pieces
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Small Cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Cloves
- Black Pepper Corn
- 2 Tomato puree
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- ½ tsp Sugar
- Corn Flour Slurry 1 tsp cornflour + 3 tsp Water
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ cup Fresh Cream or Malai
- 1 tsp Oil for cooking marinated veggies
- In a big bowl take curd, turmeric powder, garam masala, red chilly powder, kasoori methi and mix together and make a nice thick paste.
- In the bowl add cauliflower, onion and bell pepper (capsicum) cut in big pieces then add lemon juice and mix well.
- Cover it and keep it in the fridge for an hour.
- Now heat pan / wok on medium heat, add oil, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, cloves, cinnamon stick, small cardamom, black pepper corn and mix well.
- Now add tomato puree, saute and cook till tomato releases oil.
- Next add coriander powder, tomato ketchup, sugar and mix well.
- After mixing add corn flour (starch) slurry, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Once mixture is boiling add water in it mix well and add malai then mix again.
- Once mixture is cooked well add salt and keep it aside.
- Now in a pan add oil and add marinated veggies on high flame.
- Mix and roast for 2-3 minutes and after 2 minutes add little salt.
- Mix again, cover and let it cook till veggies are soft.
- Once half cooked increase the flame and dry the veggies completely.
- Once cooked turn off the heat and keep it aside.
- Now again put gravy on heat mix again and add water to adjust the consistency.
- Boil the gravy, add veggies then cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes turn off the heat and serve.
I like making this recipe as it is super fun to make and tasty to eat. Do let us know in the commeny section about your experience.